Pulsed light and laser hair removal are often confused although they are two very different hair removal methods, both in terms of safety and effectiveness. The power of pulsed light is lower and it only causes the weakening of the hair follicle. For this reason, it offers an ephemeral and transient result.On the other hand, the laser emits a more intense and selective beam of light that destroys the hair bulb and allows you to benefit from a truly permanent hair removal. Epilia has chosen to get lasers based on the latest technology: the Alexandrite lasers of the Candela brand. This type of laser is highly efficient and guarantees your permanent hair removal is done under the best safety conditions.
The hair's life cycle consists of three phases. The laser only has an impact on hairs that are in the active growth phase (anagen phase). During the resting phase (catagen phase) and the ejection of the hair (telogen phase), the hair is no longer bound to its hair follicle. The laser, therefore, does not affect these last two phases. Thus, it is estimated that about 15-20% of hair is destroyed at each laser hair removal session. Since not all the hairs in the treated area are in the active phase at the same time, it is necessary to schedule several sessions to obtain an optimal result. The number of laser hair removal sessions varies according to different factors:
- The age
- The sex
- The skin phototype
- The pigmentation and hair structure
- The treated area
Depending on the areas treated and the sensitivity of each, permanent laser hair removal can be more or less unpleasant. However, the pain ensuing from the treatment is generally completely bearable. The sensation felt is similar to that of a rubber band on the skin. To make your sessions as comfortable as possible, all our permanent laser hair removal centres are equipped with an additional machine. The latter is from the latest generation and makes the skin to cool down in the treated with an anaesthetic effect. It makes the tingling sensation caused by the laser easy to tolerate.
The results of permanent laser hair removal are impressive and very satisfactory in most cases. This technique, although recognised as the most effective one, does not allow total hair removal. However, the remaining hair will be thinner, sparse and with no pigment. Finally, it should be noted that laser hair removal cannot prevent the appearance of new hair bulbs linked to hormonal changes (pregnancy, menopause, hormonal imbalance). In these cases, sessions to maintain the results will need to be scheduled.
At Epilia, you will be offered the first consultation before you start your final hair removal. It aims to inform you about all aspects related to the laser, to give you the treatment protocol and to provide you with all the necessary recommendations for the smooth running of your permanent laser hair removal sessions.
INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE EACH SESSION
- No exposure to the sun or sunbed in the 4 to 6 weeks preceding the session.
- Tanning activators and self-tanning lotions are also prohibited.
- Please inform our staff of any drug treatment.
- The hair in the area of your laser hair removal should not be discoloured or waxed (no wax, electric hair removal epilator, tweezers, depilatory cream) in the 4 weeks before the treatment. The hair on the treated area should be shaved 24 to 48 hours before the session (except for women's face).
- The skin must be free from any cosmetic product.
- The use of new, unwashed clothing should also be avoided if it comes in contact with the treated area.
Our teams of permanent laser hair removal specialists recommend waiting for about 4 to 6 weeks between 2 hair removal sessions (depending on the area). As the sessions progress, and depending on how well the treatment is working, this period is extended. From the first session onwards, the results are clearly visible. During the treatment, the growth of the remaining hairs is slowed down and they become sparse and thinner. To comply with the protocol is essential to optimise results. Our teams of specialists are available to answer all the questions you may have all over the process of your permanent hair removal. They advise and support you in each of your laser sessions.
Unlike a pulsed light treatment, permanent laser hair removal is safe and effective if performed by a professional and specialised team. In our Epilia centres, we have the necessary skills and a medical technical platform from the last generation to ensure you will be treated with optimal care.
Contraindications are limited but must be respected for a safe and effective laser treatment:
- No exposure to UV or other rays in the 4 to 6 weeks preceding the session (sun, sunbed, self-tanner, tanning activator).
- No treatment on a pregnant woman can be considered.
- A body area affected by inflammation at an infectious stage cannot be treated.
- Tattooed areas (or with permanent make-up) cannot be treated. The treatment can only be done around the tattooed area, which will still be hairy.